In Apr 02, I landed in pune for my first job assignment and I had my own apprehensions at that point of time regarding various things .. My topmost worry was that my knowledge of Hindi was zilch (even now, though i speak Hindi, the expressions on the face of my listener, keep reminding me that I am no way near mastering it !!!) .However, in my first year , I picked some smattering of Hindi/Marathi ... But they say half knowledge is worse than no knowledge.
I had bought a new pair of , a slightly expensive, clothes to be worn on my bday. Normally , I live under the impression that I dress smart, though in reality it might be far from it (I believe in admitting one's weakness, before someone else exaggerates them !!). Since I was wearing new clothes on my bday, I was walking one inch above the ground; cocky that I will be turning heads in my office.
I opened the door to my office;and there is this babe, who is talking to a customer on the telephone.She turned her head , saw me and with a very serious expression , said, "Vishnu, you look jakhass!!", and turned back to her monitor and continued her conversation with the customer.
Now, I was totally embarrassed and dumbstuck !!! I was wondering ,"Out of all days, today, when I think I am looking smashing, and of all people , a girl, looks at me and says that I look like a jackass !@#$*How bad it can ever get???."
For the next half an hour, I could not come to terms with the fact that a girl had told me I look like a jackass and I was totally lost and could not concentrate on my work. Atlast, upon enquiring discreetly, I learned that "jakhass", in Marathi(slang), meant "superb". Upon hearing this I was highly relieved !! I had thought she said "jackass" with an accent , which had caused my half an hour of restlessness.
Indian languages can be funny at times !!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment